Since 1969, SEI has met the strategic business needs of industry leaders, in the process helping to create the call center
and telematics industries. Below are some highlights of our four-decade track record of helping our customers meet their
essential business needs.
- SEI founded by T. Russell Shields. Solutions developed over ping-pong at 100 E. Ohio Street in downtown Chicago.
- The U.S. Veterans Administration and TransUnion hire SEI to develop their mainframe business systems.
- Time-Life, TV Guide, National Geographic, and Guideposts Publishers retain SEI to develop their real-time fulfillment systems.
- SEI develops revolutionary in-store system that supports all basic business functions for McDonald's.
- SEI launches technical help desk operations for McDonald's franchisees.
- SEI helps establish Cellular Business Systems, Inc. (CBSI), the first company to provide billing services to the cell phone industry. Within its first year, CBSI captured 80 percent of the total market and SEI's technology remains central to its operations today. This operation evolved into Convergys (NYSE:CVG), a leading provider of outsourced billing and call center services. In 2012, the data management business of Convergys that developed from CBSI was acquired by NEC Corporation (TSE:6701) for $450 million.
- SEI helps launch Navigation Technologies (later Navteq, now Nokia Location and Commerce) and pioneers the development of the world's most comprehensive navigable map database and routing tools. This technology is central to MapQuest.com and numerous in-vehicle navigation systems. In 2008, Navteq was acquired by Nokia (NYSE:NOK) in an all cash transaction for $8.1 billion.
- SEI adds service desk operations to its general support portfolio.
- SEI opens facilities in North Dakota, U.S.A.
- SEI helps the American Automobile Association (AAA) develop a travel information kiosk system, complete with touch-screen technology that was deployed in Orlando-area hotels.
- A&W Food Services of Canada becomes SEI's first international customer when SEI helps the company deploy an application to support restaurant operations.
- SEI adds hardware and software sales, vendor performance management, release management, and change management offerings to their portfolio of services.
- BellSouth Public Communications awards a gold medal to an SEI project to support "smart phones" in the company's payphone network.
- RR Donnelley, Citibank, Bobcat, and Dunkin' Brands engage SEI for a variety of technology support services.
- SEI launches a European subsidiary.
- SEI's relationship with McDonald's continues to expand overseas with 24x7 support for its UK and Ireland restaurants.
- Ingersoll Rand International (IRI) contracts SEI to provide multilingual training and user support in Dublin, Ireland.
- SEI, in conjunction with Verety, its sister Ygomi company, launches online ordering system support for McDonald's United States.
- SEI introduces a work-at-home pilot to help develop a distributed agent service delivery model to better align with and serve customer-specific needs.
- Microsoft commissions SEI to conduct an outbound sales generation pilot, quickly adding inbound, chat, and platform product lead generation to the scope of SEI support.
- SEI creates a Microsoft-integrated professional sales support team to enable telephone-partner management, channel recruiting, and software asset management services.
- BMW contracts SEI to provide 24-hour, multilingual, L1 technical support, including incident and hardware vendor management, to most of its global dealership network.
- SEI develops customized remote systems monitoring (RSM) capabilities to supplement single-point-of-contact help desk services.
- McDonald's engages SEI to provide help desk support services to its fastest growing market, China.
- BMW contracts SEI to provide concierge service, including emergency call, to drivers in Europe.
- SEI moves corporate headquarters to Grand Forks, North Dakota.
- McDonald's acquires SEI assets that had supported McDonald's.
- SEI invests in expanding its customer support business, using in-house and work-at-home agents to deliver optimal coverage and cost management.
- SEI achieves PCI certification.
- Citibank expands its partnership with SEI to support assisted payment processing for its national clients.
- SEI expands U.S. operations to Missoula, Montana.
- Sonic expands its relationship with SEI for support of additional POS and marketing systems via email and voice.